Friday 11 March 2011

Cape Town 8th - 10th March 2011

This is my second trip to Capetown since the beginning of the year, and I always enjoy a trip to Capetown. 

Mango was my airline of choice this round, there really isn't much choice in this department - they are each as bad as the next.  One thing I can say is that we did leave on time and land a little early.  And then we had to wait 45min for our luggage to arrive on the conveyor, "Mango-Fail"

Avis - Having a Preferred Card makes life easy in this department - And this time I got a ....... Hyundai i20.  I don't mind the i20, it's actually a really nice car to drive,  with a good AC and all the usual cheap car 'bells & whistles' like steering controls and folding mirrors.  The only real gripe I have with this car is that the radio does not support RDS - so you don't know what station you're listening to and that does irritate me.

With most of my trips I like to look around for geocaches.  If you don't know about geocaching visit http://www.geocaching.com/ - If you have a GPS and enjoy being outside then this is for you.  Something the whole family can get involved in and you get to see places you would never have known existed.  I got to see Milnerton beach and some fantastic views of 'The Mountain' 4 caches with one DNF (did not find) - and some awesome pics of the sunset.


The thought of another night in a Road Lodge made me quiver, but not in a good way, so I googled a little and stumbled onto this place, http://www.larocheguesthouse.com/ - What a pleasure, large spacious rooms with a fantastic breakfast included, this was an absolute winner.  And Milnerton proved to be very accesible and easy to get in and out of.

Dinner was at Brewers &Union 110 Bree Street in Capetown.  I had read about them in the in-flight mag and as I enjoy good quality imported beer I thought I'd have to give this a try.  I wasn't disappointed, the food was fantastic and the naturally brewed beers where top shelf.  Service was also pleasantly surprising and with the laid back vibe helped to make the evening very enjoyable.  http://www.andunion.com/

Spent the next day in Stellenbosch amongst all the students and thanks to the geocaches I found, in between meetings, I got to see some of the town I'd always just driven past.  The Doc Craven memorial at the university sports grounds was a winner.  Unfortunately no stopping at the wine farms today, time was just not on my side.

Dinner was another surprising event when I found myself at the paddocks shopping centre, and being in the mood for seafood went to the Fish Shack.  The Fish Shack offers a variety of fresh seafood. From fish and chips to seafood platters, seafood buffets and more.  I had Sushi which was really good and fresh - and then had some really well prepared Prawns.  All in all a happy experience, Capetown was treating me well this time around.

On these trips I rarely find a lunch place that is worthy of mentioning as they are more often than not fast food establishments such as KFC and McD's.  However, Durbanville produced a winner when I had one of my meetings at a restaurant called Chocolat.  Very popular little spot with fantastic coffee and very, very good food.  I'm not going to bore anyone talking about decor because it really is lost on me, as long as the food is good.  I don't know of anyone who goes to a restaurant just because it's pretty.  If you are, or ever plan to be in Durbanville, do yourself a favour and pop into Chocolat.  Follow the link if you want to see what Food24 thinks about the place.  http://www.food24.com/Restaurants-and-Bars/Restaurants/Chocolat-Coffee-Shop-20091022

Before catching Mango's evening flight back to Durban I had a Toasted Tom&Cheese from Rhapsodies.  If ever this feeling grabs you please spare yourself the disappointment.  And that's all I have to say about that food experience.

Next trip is a camping one at Wagendrift, that should be fun and worth writting about..

Drive fast, take chances.

No comments:

Post a Comment